attendance in key stage 4
At NUAST we strongly believe that outstanding attendance is vital in ensuring that every student achieves their potential. Therefore a great deal of time and resources are spent in ensuring students and their families understand the importance of outstanding attendance and strive to improve constantly and achieve an attendance of 96% or above.
- Students entered in half termly, termly, yearly attendance prize draw
- Constant monitoring of attendance by form tutor
- Certificate issued termly to promote continued good attendance
- More chances to win rewards during attendance drive
- Students encouraged to improve attendance
- Support offered by Pastoral Team and Welfare Officer and through interviews
- Chance to win rewards during attendance drive if attendance improves to 100% for the 4 weekly period of the attendance drive
- Students encouraged to improve and parent/ carer invited in to meet with Head of Year
- Constant monitoring of attendance by Head of Year
- Chance to win rewards if attendance improves to 100% during the 4 weekly period of the attendance drive
- Student placed on a four week review to monitor attendance
Below 90 % PA
- Students encouraged to improve and referral to the Educational Welfare Officer to remove barriers to good attendance
- One to one meetings with the Welfare Team
- Constant monitoring of attendance by Welfare Officer and Educational Welfare
- Chance to win rewards during attendance drive if attendance improves to 100% during the specified 4 weekly period
- Letter sent fortnightly informing parent/ carer of current attendance and possible consequences if no improvement is made
- Home visit from the Leadership Team
- Fixed penalties and fast Track to prosecution for those families/ students showing no significant improvement
Prosecution will be used as a last resort when methods of support have been exhausted. We will work to remove barriers to outstanding attendance wherever possible, but the legal responsibility for ensuring outstanding attendance lies with the parent/carer.
KeY Stage 4 at NUAST
At NUAST in Key Stage 4 we aim to provide a focused, professional and high achieving environment in which young people can develop and flourish. Our students wear Business dress to the academy, just as they would for work and they go about their studies with pride in their professional appearance and conduct. As a result, our Year 10 and Year 11 students are a credit to us and are learning how to instinctively behave in a professional, high performance environment. Many of our employer partners comment on their excellent conduct and maturity.
Our ethos is very much about opportunity; students are offered a variety of schemes, challenges, opportunities and enrichment activities throughout the year. They are learning a combination of professional, employability and practical skills which will prepare them for their next stage in life.
Year 10 Tutor Team
- 10.1: Mrs Langsdale & Mr Cox
- 10.2: Mr Wiltshire
- 10.3: Mr Hayward
Mentor time is between 8.30-8.45 and is an opportunity for our students to network with each other, have 1-1 mentoring with their tutor and to learn essential working skills. The mentor programme is as follows:
- Monday- Review of previous week's attendance and rewards data
- Tuesday- Assembly/PSHE weekly themed activities
- Wednesday- Mentoring with tutors, Head of Year or SLT
- Thursday- PSHE weekly themed activities
- Friday- Mentoring with tutors, Head of Year or SLT
On Wednesday and Friday mornings, students work in one-to-one or small group sessions, with their individual mentors. These sessions are tailored to the needs of each individual, or group, and change throughout the academic year. Students may receive mentoring sessions ranging from subject specific support, to future careers advice and planning.
More information will be added when the new academic year begins.