Key Stage 3:
Geography is currently offered in year 7 and will expand into year 8 and year 9 as the school grows over the coming years.
In year 7 students are delivered a curriculum that aims to inspire and educate students in modern and traditional concepts of Geography allowing students to investigate, interpret and inquire about different ideas and theories. Year 7 Geography covers topics such as:
- Map skills
- Human and Physical features of the world
- Current world issues
- South America
NUAST offers the AQA (9-1) GCSE in Geography. Study of this course will give students of all backgrounds the opportunity to develop:
- Communication skills
- Graphical and cartographical skills
- Technological skills including ICT and GIS
- Interpersonal skills through debate and discussion
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Entrepreneurial skills and awareness of career possibilities.
Within the course students will cover topics on:
- Natural Hazards and Climate Change
- UK Physical Environment
- Urban challenges and issues
- The changing Economic world
- Resource security
Students will also complete two compulsory fieldwork experiences in contrasting locations which encompass both Human and Physical Geography.
Paper 1: Physical Geography - 1 hour 30 minutes - worth 37.5%
Paper 2: Human Geography - 1 hour 30 minutes - worth 37.5%
Paper 3: Fieldwork and skills - 1 hour 15 minutes - worth 25%
NUAST also offers the AQA Linear A Level specification for sixth form.
The course covers many elements of Geography:
- Physical Geography - Hazards, Glaciers or Coasts, Water and carbon cycles
- Human Geography - Changing urban environments, Changing places, Global Governance
- Geography Fieldwork Investigation – Students complete an individual investigation which must include data collected in the field based on a question or issue defined and developed by the student relating to any part of the specification content.
- Component 1: Physical Geography - 2 hours 30 minutes - worth 40%
- Component 2: Human Geography - 2 hours 30 minutes - worth 40%
- Component 3: Geography Fieldwork Investigation – 3,000-4,000 words - worth 20%
Key Stage 3: