Geology is an applied branch of science that uses mathematical, physical, chemical and biological principles to explain the structure, evolution and dynamics of the Earth. Like all sciences, Geology requires skills of observation, imagination and the synthesis of collected information and ideas. This clearly illustrates that geology is a multidisciplinary science and hence, geology is an appropriate choice to make if you enjoy science and the physical aspects of geography.
The GCSE specification followed is that offered by WJEC (http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/geology/geology-gcse/) is based around five key ideas that investigate the following topics:
- Igneous, Sedimentary and Metamorphic processes
- Plate Tectonics and Tectonic structures
- Geology and Landscape
- Climate and Sea Level change
- Geological Evolution of the UK
- Hazard Geology
- Y12 Chemists educational visit to The University of Nottingham
Chemistry lectures and thunder and lightning demonstrations (24/01/2017)
- NUAST students come second from 200 schools!
Chemistry Challenge (20/01/2016)