Key Stage 3:
Geography is currently offered in year 7 and year 8 expanding into year 9 as the school grows over the coming years.
In year 7 students are delivered a curriculum that aims to inspire and educate students in modern and traditional concepts of Geography allowing students to investigate, interpret and inquire about different ideas and theories whilst embedding skills.
Year 7 Geography covers topics such as:
- Local Area study and map skills
- Rich v Poor
- UK ecosystems
- How can we be more sustainable?
Year 8 Geography will include topics such as:
- Our World
- Cold Environments
- World Issues
NUAST offers the AQA (9-1) GCSE in Geography. Study of this course will give students of all backgrounds the opportunity to develop:
- Communication skills
- Graphical and cartographical skills
- Technological skills including ICT and GIS
- Interpersonal skills through debate and discussion
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Entrepreneurial skills and awareness of career possibilities.
Within the course students will cover topics on:
- Natural Hazards and Climate Change
- UK Physical Environment
- Urban challenges and issues
- The changing Economic world
- Resource security
Students will also complete two compulsory fieldwork experiences in contrasting locations which encompass both Human and Physical Geography.
Paper 1: Physical Geography - 1 hour 30 minutes - worth 37.5%
Paper 2: Human Geography - 1 hour 30 minutes - worth 37.5%
Paper 3: Fieldwork and skills - 1 hour 15 minutes - worth 25%
NUAST also offers the AQA Linear A Level specification for sixth form.
The course covers many elements of Geography:
- Physical Geography - Hazards, Glaciers or Coasts, Water and carbon cycles
- Human Geography - Changing urban environments, Changing places, Global Governance
- Geography Fieldwork Investigation – Students complete an individual investigation which must include data collected in the field based on a question or issue defined and developed by the student relating to any part of the specification content.
- Component 1: Physical Geography - 2 hours 30 minutes - worth 40%
- Component 2: Human Geography - 2 hours 30 minutes - worth 40%
- Component 3: Geography Fieldwork Investigation – 3,000-4,000 words - worth 20%
Key Stage 3: