"For the things of this world cannot be made known without a knowledge of mathematics."
Roger Bacon (1219 - 1292)
We follow a bespoke scheme of learning which is designed to master the mathematical concepts and embed deeper understanding to support the aims and objectives of the National Curriculum.
The scheme of learning;
- has number at its heart. A large proportion of time in Year 7 is spent reinforcing number to build competency. Key number skills are then fed through the rest of the scheme so that students become more and more fluent.
- gives opportunities to extend higher attaining students through depth, rather than acceleration onto new content.
- provides time to build reasoning and problem solving elements into the curriculum.
Throughout the year, students will develop their understanding from concrete to abstract concepts.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is a natural part of each and every maths lesson, as the classroom teacher works with students to check their prior knowledge to inform their next steps of learning. During Key Stage 3, students sit end of topic tests to gauge their mastery of the work that has just been studied. These topic tests help the teacher and the student to identify whether the student is making the expected level of progress and to find individual areas of strength and those needing further development. These assessment scores are also used to help inform changes to placement of students into appropriate teaching groups and to identify students who need additional support or intervention.
- UKMT Junior Maths Challenge Success -
Here are three of our favourite questions from this year’s Junior Maths Challenge paper (05/06/2022)
- Senior Kangaroo Maths Challenge
William earns a Certificate of merit in the UKMT Senior Kangaroo competition. (07/02/2022)
- Year 7 Numeracy Ninjas
As part of our commitment to developing our younger students' numeracy skills. (23/01/2022)
- Year 13 parents' evening
4:00 - 7:00pm Thur 3rd February 2022 (19/01/2022)
- UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge
The 2022 Intermediate challenge takes place on Thursday 3rd February (19/01/2022)